One of our Intramural Teams strike a pose at last year's Open.
Are you READY? The 2018 CrossFit Games Open starts TODAY! That's right, for the next 5 weeks, every Friday we will join thousands of CrossFitters around the world as we all complete the Open workouts.
As we have done in years previous, we have again formed Intramural Teams for the Open. The Intramural Teams are open to everyone! You don't have to do the workout as Rx'd to participate. We want everyone to have fun during CrossFit's biggest event of the year. Scaled, modified, or as prescribed, everyone is welcome to participate in our Intramural Open.
Each week you can earn points for your team as follows:
2 points - Officially register for the CrossFit Games Open
1 point - Use the Facebook CrossFit Open Frame App
5 points - Complete the online CrossFit Games Judges course
1 point - Complete The Open workout
1 point - Complete The Open workout at the Friday Night Lights event
3 points - Finish in the top 3 Rx'd
3 points - Finish in the top 3 Scaled
2 points - Get a PR or do something for the first time
5 points - Spirit of the Open - awarded at the end of each Friday Night Lights event
Here are our 2018 teams:
How did Team Allison earn so many pre-season points? Four of them have completed the online Judges Course. You can still catch up Team Jessie!
All week long I have been blogging about recovery. We have explored rest, technique work, and mobility practices. It's Foodie Friday. so of course I'm going to explore nutrition as part of your recovery plan.
I have studied many nutrition programs and the one common theme is that post-workout nutrition should include protein and carbohydrates and should be consumed within 1-3 hours of completing your workout.
There is some debate on the type of carbohydrate, e.g. solid fruit, fruit juice, sweet potatoes, rice, etc., but there is no debate of its importance. Post-workout carbohydrates are important for replenishing glycogen stores. Glycogen is used during CrossFit to fuel our high intensity workouts. You NEED glycogen after every CrossFit workout, and you need it within 1-3 hours. You also need protein.
The amounts of each will vary according to your weight, body composition and goals. But, a good place is to start is 10g of protein and 20g of carbs. If you're a bigger person you need more. DO NOT SKIP THIS. How well (and quickly) you re-fuel after your workout will set-up you up to recover and be ready for go for your next workout.
We sell some post-workout products at the gym that I personally use. I drink a FitAid Rx and consume a Fuel for Fire or a protein shake with added carbs after every workout. However, you can make your own post-workout carbohydrates. Here's a recipe for my favorite homemade post-workout carbohydrate sources. To make it a complete post-workout meal you can eat a hard boiled egg, drink a protein shake, or eat some tuna or chicken.
Baked Sweet Potato Chews
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and bake sweet potatoes for 50-60 minutes. They should be soft to the touch.
2. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature, then peel off the skins. After an hour in the oven, the skins should come off easily.
3. Slice the potatoes to a uniform thickness (about 1/2 cm per slice), then arrange them on a baking sheet that’s been prepped with cooking spray.
4. Melt coconut oil to achieve a liquid consistency, then paint it onto the potatoes with a basting or pastry brush. Each slice should receive an even coat.
5. Sprinkle each slice with a liberal coating of cinnamon. Be generous.
6. Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and throw the slices in for another 50 minutes. Remove any slices with a chewy texture, then return the sheet to the oven for another 15 minutes to finish the rest of the batch.
Note: More heat or more time will yield sweet-potato crisps—pretty great, if you’re into that sort of thing.
7. Let the slices cool, then partition them into Ziploc bags for storage, transport, and eventual snacking.
Record your WOD on Beyond the Whiteboard.
Do you need CrossFit or yoga gear? Click on the links below to buy through our GORUCK, Reebok, Rogue or Affiliate share sale programs. These are affiliate links and our gym will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on these links.
Check out our Flickr page!